Tropical Aroma Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons strong coffee
- Cake: Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour three 8-inch diameter
round cake pans.
- Cream the shortening; add the sugar a little at a time, then add the eggs,
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add a little of the dry ingredients to the first mixture; add milk, a small amount
at a time, then the remaining dry ingredients.
- Divide two thirds of this batter between 2 of the prepared pans.
- To the remaining batter, add the cocoa, which has been mixed with the cold
water. Spoon into the third cake pan.
- Bake the layers for 15-20 minutes, until the cakes test done.
- Transfer to racks and let cool completely.
- Icing/Filling: Cream the butter; add the sugar and cocoa very slowly, beating
until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and coffee, a few drops at a
time, until the filling is soft enough to spread.
- To assemble: Remove the cakes from their pans.
- Place a white layer on a plate. Spread a thin layer of icing over the top.
- Add the dark layer, spreading a thin layer of icing over the top.
- Top with the third layer. Spread top and sides with the remaining icing.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Per serving: 640 calories, 9 g protein, 106 g carbohydrate, 21 g fat (8 g
saturated), 69 mg cholesterol, 394 mg sodium, 4 g fiber
Source: The Royal Guide to Meal Planning (Standard Brands Inc., New
York City, 1929)