Vermont Spice Cake
Winter in Vermont means snowbound days good for baking. But you don't have to live in Vermont to enjoy this spicy, maple-flavored cake crowned with an icy cream cheese frosting sprinkled with chopped nuts or whole pecans.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 11 ounces cream cheese (8-ounce package plus a 3-ounce package), softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring*
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts and nut halves (optional)
* 3 teaspoons maple flavoring are suggested for a stronger maple flavor.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch-round cake pans.
- Cake: Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, nutmeg
and salt in small bowl.
- Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs; beat for 2 minutes.
- Beat in pumpkin, evaporated milk, water and vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Spread evenly into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool
- Maple Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar in large mixer
bowl until fluffy.
- Add maple flavoring; mix well.
- To Assemble: Cut each cake in half horizontally with long, serrated knife.
- Frost between layers and on top of cake, leaving sides unfrosted.
- Garnish with nuts, if desired.
To make a 2-layer cake, frost between layers, over top and on sides of cake.
Nutrition Information Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 607 Calories from Fat: 231 Total Fat: 25.7g (39% of
DV) Saturated Fat: 15.5g 77% of DV) Cholesterol: 122mg (41% of DV) Sodium: 529mg
(21% of DV) Carbohydrates: 88.3g (28% of DV) Dietary Fiber: 2.2g (9% of DV) Sugars:
60.3g Protein: 7.7g
Vitamin A: 20% of DV Vitamin C: 2% of DV Calcium: 9% of DV Iron: 22% of DV
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Nestlé and meals.com
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes