Vermont Spice Cake
You don't have to live in Vermont to enjoy this spicy Vermont Spice Cake crowned with an icy cream cheese frosting
sprinkled with chopped nuts or whole pecans.
To make a 2-layer cake, frost between layers, over top and on sides of cake.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 11 ounces cream cheese (8 ounce package plus a 3-ounce package), softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring*
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts and nut halves (optional)
* 3 teaspoons maple flavoring are suggested for a stronger maple flavor.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch-round cake pans.
- Cake: Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in small bowl.
- Beat sugar and butter in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs; beat for 2 minutes.
- Beat in pumpkin, evaporated milk, water and vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Spread evenly into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Maple Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar in large mixer bowl until fluffy.
- Add maple flavoring; mix well.
- To Assemble: Cut each cake in half horizontally with long, serrated knife.
- Frost between layers and on top of cake, leaving sides unfrosted.
- Garnish with nuts, if desired.
Nutrition Information Serving Size: 1/12 of Recipe Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 607 Calories from Fat: 231 Total Fat: 25.7g (39% of
DV) Saturated Fat: 15.5g 77% of DV) Cholesterol: 122mg (41% of DV) Sodium: 529mg
(21% of DV) Carbohydrates: 88.3g (28% of DV) Dietary Fiber: 2.2g (9% of DV) Sugars:
60.3g Protein: 7.7g
Vitamin A: 20% of DV Vitamin C: 2% of DV Calcium: 9% of DV Iron: 22% of DV
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Nestlé and meals.com