Wellesley Fudge Cake
- 4 squares BAKER'S Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened**
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Or use 2 cups sifted cake flour
** Or use 1/2 cup vegetable shortening and 1 cup milk.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Microwave chocolate, 1/2 cup of the sugar and water in large microwavable
bowl on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring halfway
through heating time. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar in large bowl with electric mixer
on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla extract.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans.
- Cool completely on wire racks. Frost as desired.
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine May 2, 2001.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes