Wellesley Fudge Cake
- 4 squares BAKER'S Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened**
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Or use 2 cups sifted cake flour
** Or use 1/2 cup vegetable shortening and 1 cup milk.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Microwave chocolate, 1/2 cup of the sugar and water in large microwavable
bowl on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring halfway
through heating time. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar in large bowl with electric mixer
on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla extract.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans.
- Cool completely on wire racks. Frost as desired.
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine May 2, 2001.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes