Whoopie Pie Cake
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 9 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Beat together the margarine and sugar.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt.
Mix slowly, gradually adding buttermilk. Beat for 2 full minutes.
- Add eggs, then gradually add cocoa, beating another 2 minutes, stopping
occasionally to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake about 40 minutes, until center springs
back when gently pushed.
- Cool the cake layers for 5 minutes, then remove them from pans and cool
them completely on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, pour the milk into a stainless steel saucepan over medium
- Gradually whisk in flour until a thick paste forms. Do not scorch!
- Remove from stove and cool this mixture in the refrigerator.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, butter, vanilla extract and shortening.
- Add the cooled flour mixture. Whip for at least 3 minutes until creamy.
This makes enough icing to generously frost a 2-layer cake.
Source: Becky's Diner, Portland, Maine