Bing Cherry Shortcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
5 or 6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups pitted Bing cherries
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons melted raspberry jam
tablespoon Kirsch (cherry liqueur)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in
butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk, lemon zest and vanilla
extract. Knead several times on a lightly floured board and roll out to 3/4-inch
thickness. Cut into 4 circles with a 3-inch cutter and place on an ungreased baking
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, beat cream and sugar together until soft peaks form.
- Melt jam and kirsch together in a small saucepan.
- Split each shortcake in half lengthwise and spoon whipped cream, cherries and
melted jam between the layers.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings