Bing Cherry Shortcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 5 or 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pitted Bing cherries
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon Kirsch (cherry liqueur)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in
butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk, lemon zest and vanilla
extract. Knead several times on a lightly floured board and roll out to 3/4-inch
thickness. Cut into 4 circles with a 3-inch cutter and place on an ungreased baking
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, beat cream and sugar together until soft peaks form.
- Melt jam and kirsch together in a small saucepan.
- Split each shortcake in half lengthwise and spoon whipped cream, cherries and
melted jam between the layers.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.