Butter Pecan Strawberry Shortcake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup toasted pecans, ground
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons strawberry or raspberry liqueur or Cointreau (optional)
6 cups sliced strawberries
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Stack two baking sheets together and line top one
with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, pecans, 1/4 cup of sugar, salt and baking
powder. Cut in the butter until mixture is grainy. Stir in egg, cream and vanilla
extract to make a soft dough. Knead gently on a lightly floured bowl. Shape into
a 9- or 10-inch round. Transfer to baking sheet.
- Bake in upper third of oven for 8-10 minutes. Cool well.
- Whip the cream and add sugar and vanilla extract. Split shortcake in two horizontally.
Cover with half of cream. Top with some berries and liqueur. Replace top of shortcake
and top with remaining berries and cream.
- You may replace the whipping cream with softened vanilla ice cream.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 11/09/2001 12:35 pm.