This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Dark Cherry Shortcakes Jubilee
- 1 (16 1/2 ounce) can pitted dark sweet Bing cherries in syrup
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cognac, brandy, or dark rum, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste (optional)
- 1 pint cherry vanilla ice cream
- 6 store bought shortcakes
- Toasted sliced or slivered almonds for garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cherries and their syrup to a boil over medium
heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the cherries are heated through,
about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the Cognac with the cornstarch and stir until the cornstarch
is dissolved. Add the mixture to the cherries. Return to a simmer and cook, stirring,
until lightly thickened.
- Transfer the cherries to a serving bowl and stir in the cinnamon, if desired.
- Place 1 shortcake on each serving plate, top with a scoop of ice cream, and spoon
some of the warm sauce over each serving. Garnish with toasted almonds, if desired.