This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Dark Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
with Amaretto Cream
Velvety chocolate shortcakes, layered with whipped cream and strawberries.
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder (or original)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted cold butter, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 cup Amaretto (or substitute other liqueur or milk)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounces defrosted frozen whipped topping or sweetened whipped cream
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- Whipped topping/cream
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
or silpat (or grease pan well).
- Place 2/3 cup milk and dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave
on high in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth. Stir
in vanilla extract. Cool.
- Meanwhile, add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into food
processor (or large bowl), and process until combined (or whisk together if not
using processor). Add butter and process until just combined (or cut in with fork
if not using a food processor).
- While food processor is running, slowly add milk and chocolate chip mixture until
just combined (or stir in until just combined if making in a bowl).
- Spoon mixture into 6 large circles (or 12 small) onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until set (or about 8-12 minutes for small). Cool on
- Meanwhile, in large bowl mix together cream cheese and pudding mix with electric
mixer on medium speed until well combined. Mix in Amaretto and milk until well combined.
Fold in whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate for about 1-2 hours or until firm.
- To assemble, place a chocolate shortcake on serving plate then top with cream,
strawberries; repeat layers ending with a chocolate shortcake. Top with whipped
topping/cream and strawberries if desired.
Makes 2 large (or 4 small)
You can make smaller shortcakes rather than the 6 large shortcakes. Adjust time
If you don’t like dark chocolate, substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips and original
unsweetened cocoa powder. Instead of Amaretto you could use any liqueur or milk.
Substitute your favorite flavor of instant vanilla pudding for the vanilla such
as chocolate or coconut.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
California Strawberry Commission