The One and Only Authentic
Southern Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- Butter for spreading
- 4 cups fresh, ripe strawberries, rinsed, hulled, sliced in half, and sugared, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt and
mix well. Add the butter and using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter
into the mixture until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg and half and half and mix until well blended.
Then add the flour mixture and stir until the mixture is thoroughly moist. Turn
the dough out onto a floured surface and knead very briefly. With your hands, pat
out the dough to about a 1/2 inch thickness, then, using a floured 3-inch biscuit
cutter, cut out six biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet and bake on the upper rack of
the oven till slightly brown on top, about 10 minutes.
- While they're still hot, split open the biscuits, spread lightly with butter,
and arrange close together on a plate. Spoon berries and cream onto the biscuits
and serve while still warm.
Yield: 6 servings
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 3/27/02 4:03:18 pm.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.