Ricotta Shortcake with Berry-Cherry Sauce
A trio of sweetened berries adorn this delicious ricotta cheese shortcake.
- 1 pint strawberries, cleaned, hulled and halved
- 1/2 pint (1 cup) raspberries
- 2 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 3/4 cup sugar, or to desired sweetness
- 3 tablespoons kirsch or another liqueur (optional)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Wisconsin ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine fruits in bowl. Toss with sugar and liqueur, if using. Set aside. Stir
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Place in food processor work
bowl; pulse several times.
- Add butter, process 3 to 4 pulses. Add ricotta; pulse 5 to 6 times to crumble.
- With processor running, slowly add milk. Process about
5 seconds until ingredients are well-combined.
- Turn dough out onto center of buttered and floured baking sheet. Roll (or pat)
into 7-inch flat circle, 1 3/4 inches thick. Sprinkle surface with 1 tablespoon
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 20 minutes. Remove to wire rack.
- Just before serving, slice shortcake in half horizontally with a serrated knife.
Remove top. Place bottom on large serving platter. Top with half the fruit. Place
top of shortcake over fruit. Top with remaining fruit. Garnish with whipped
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.