Strawberry Shortcakes (T&T)
Here is the recipe my third daughter ALWAYS requests for her "birthday cake" which was earlier this month. There are many different versions of Strawberry Shortcake, but this is OUR favorite. I tried a number of recipes before settling on this one - which I've now used for years.
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (or add more sugar to taste)
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped stiff or equivalent amount of Redi-Whip or Cool Whip
- Thoroughly wash strawberries BEFORE hulling (otherwise juice is lost into the
water, and berries become "water-logged"). Drain and remove hulls. Thinly
slice berries into into a medium bowl; toss with 1/4 cup sugar. Refrigerate. (Additional
juice will form as strawberries stand.) Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- To make shortcakes: In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and
salt. Using a pastry blender (or two knives), cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture
resembles coarse cornmeal.
- In center of mixture, make a well; pour in milk. Lightly mix with a fork until
the flour mixture is moistened. (Dough will be lumpy).
- Turn dough out onto a clean, lightly floured work surface; knead dough 8 to 10
times, or until smooth. (But do not over-work, or biscuits will be tough.) Roll
dough to 3/4-inch thick. With a floured biscuit cutter, using a straight up and
down motion, cut biscuits. Lightly press scraps together and re-roll; cut additional
biscuits. (You should get at least 12 biscuits altogether.) Place biscuits about
1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake on center rack of oven for 11 to 13 minutes, or until tops of biscuits are
a light golden color.
- Split biscuits; place 2 halves, cut side up in 6 dessert dishes. Spoon half the
strawberries over the biscuits. Top strawberries with 2 additional biscuit halves,
cut side down. Spoon remaining strawberries over the biscuits. Garnish each serving
with a generous spoonful of whipped cream.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
Posted by LuAnn at Recipe Goldmine 7/10/01 8:30:26 am.
Source: Adapted from an old Ladies Home Journal magazine
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.