Colombian Fresh Banana
Cake with Sea Foam Frosting
- 1 (18.5 ounce) box yellow cake mix*
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup Coca-Cola
- 1 cup (2 to 3) bananas, ripe and mashed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup nuts, finely chopped (optional)
* Do not use a mix with pudding added or which requires oil.
Sea Foam Frosting
- 2 (1/4 cup) egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar*
- 1/3 cup Coca-Cola
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
* You may substitute 1 tablespoon corn syrup.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cake: In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, baking soda and eggs. Measure
the Coca-Cola, stir briskly until the foaming stops; add to the batter. Blend ingredients
just until moistened, then beat at high speed of an electric mixer for 3 minutes,
scraping the bowl often.
- In a bowl, combine the mashed bananas with the lemon juice; add to the batter.
Add the chopped nuts to the batter and beat for 1 minute at medium speed. Turn the
batter into a well-greased, lightly floured, 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the cake
tests done. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes, remove cake from pan and turn right-side
up on a rack to finish cooling.
- Sea Foam Frosting: In the top of a double boiler, combine all the ingredients
except the vanilla extract. Beat 1 minute at high speed of an electric mixer. Place
over boiling water (the water should not touch the bottom of the top half of the
double boiler). Beat on high speed about 7 minutes until the frosting forms peaks
when the mixer is raised.
- Remove from boiling water (for the smoothest frosting, empty into a large bowl).
Add the vanilla extract and continue beating on high speed until thick enough to
spread, about 2 minutes. Spread on the sides and top of the cold banana cake.
Source: International Cooking with Coca-Cola, a pamphlet from The Coca-Cola
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.