Fresca Cake with Maraschino Icing
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 7 ounces Fresca soda pop
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoonlight corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 10 maraschino cherries, chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9-inch cake pan.
- Cake: Cream together sugar, butter and shortening. Add eggs, one at a time, beating
well after each addition. Add flour and Fresca alternately. Add baking powder and
when mixture is fully creamed, add vanilla extract and grated lemon and lime rinds.
Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Maraschino Icing: Mix all ingredients except cherries and beat constantly while
heating in the top of a double boiler. When thoroughly mixed, thick, and spreadable,
frost cake. Decorate top of cake with chopped maraschino cherries.
Yield: 8 servings
Since Fresca is available only in limited areas if at all, 7-Up may be
a good substitution, or any lemon-lime drink. Also, since the problem with the cherries
has been resolved with a different food coloring, you may use the new ones or use
gum drops instead for the garnish. Syrup from a can of dark cherries might be substituted
for the maraschino cherry syrup.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.