Almond Rum Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup finely chopped blanched almonds
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch tube pan and sprinkle the almonds
evenly over the bottom.
- Separate the eggs. In a bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until
stiff. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar.
- Beat in the egg yolks, then
the vanilla extract, almond extract, lemon juice, lemon rind and milk.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat
into the creamed mixture.
- Stir in about 1/ 3 of the egg whites to lighten the batter
and then fold in the rest gently but thoroughly.
- Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours or until
cake tests done when a wooden pick inserted neat the center comes out clean.
soon as you remove the cake from the oven, sprinkle the top evenly with the rum.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
Yield: about 14 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.