Ancho Chile Devil's Food Cake with
Godiva Liqueur and Marshmallow Frosting
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces ( 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons) hot coffee
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Godiva Liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Godiva Liqueur Marshmallow Frosting
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups corn syrup
- 5 egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup Godiva Liqueur
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Cake: Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly
grease the sides of two 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch jellyroll pans. Line them with parchment
or buttered wax paper, melted butter or non-stick vegetable spray for greasing the
- Sift the flour, cocoa, ancho, cayenne, baking powder, baking soda and salt onto
a sheet of waxed paper. Sift two more times to mix and aerate.
- Put the butter and
sugar in the bowl or an electric mixer and beat at high speed for two minutes until
well combined and smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated.
Continue beating until light and very fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl
if necessary, about five more minutes.
- With the mixer on its lowest setting, or
by hand with a rubber spatula, fold in one half of the dry mixture.
- Fold in the
vanilla extract and one quarter of the buttermilk and coffee; another one third of the dry
mixture and then the remaining buttermilk and coffee. Finally, fold in the remaining
- Spread the batter evenly in the two pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the center
springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool the cake layers, in the pans, on a wire
- When cool, turn them out of the pans by inverting each one onto a plate.
each cake into two layers and fill with the Marshmallow Frosting to create a four
- Frost the outside with Ganache. You may pipe on extra Marshmallow Frosting
- Godiva Liqueur Marshmallow Frosting: Put the water, sugar and corn syrup in a
medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook over high heat to soft ball (240 degrees
F). If necessary, stir a few times to help dissolve the sugar crystals.
- Meanwhile, in an immaculately clean and dry mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites
with a pinch of salt. When soft peaks form, sprinkle on the teaspoon of sugar and
whisk until the peaks stiffen to the consistency of shaving cream. Set aside until
the syrup is ready.
- While constantly whisking the egg whites, carefully drizzle in the hot syrup.
- Mix in the Godiva Liqueur and continue to whisk until cooled down, thickened and
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together the butter and confectioner's
- Fold in the egg white mixture.
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine May 19, 2001
Source: New York Regional Competition Winner/Dessert Category Wayne Harley Brachman,
Pastry Chef, Mesa Grill and Bolo, New York City Via: the Chile-Heads Recipe Collection
Posted By: (Mario A. Subia)