Angel Food Cake Borracha
- 14 egg whites (from large eggs)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/4
cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Juice of 6 oranges (2 cups)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons triple
sec or other orange-flavored liqueur
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 canela stick
or cinnamon stick
- Cake: Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a nonreactive bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt with a mixer
until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in 1 cup of the sugar. Continue beating until
the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Sift together flour and remaining sugar three times.
- Quickly fold the dry ingredients
into the egg whites, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- Gently fold in the extracts and lemon
- Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom. Run
a knife through the batter to eliminate air bubbles. Smooth the top of the batter.
- Bake the cake until it is pale brown and springy to the touch, about 50 to 55 minutes.
There are likely to be some cracks in the surface.
- Invert tube pan over a longneck bottle. Cool the cake upside down for at least
one hour. This allows its structure to set without collapsing.
- Turn the cake back
right side up, and loosen it by running a knife around its edges. Remove the pan's
sides first, and then dislodge the cake from the pan's center section.
the cake to a serving plate. Poke a good number of holes in it with an ice pick
- While the cake cools, make the sauce.
- Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat
10 minutes, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove the pan from the
- Remove the canela or cinnamon stick from the sauce, and discard it.
the sauce slowly over the cake. The fruit zest should be distributed evenly over
- Let the cake sit at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve at room temperature.
Tightly covered, it will keep for a couple of days.