Autumn Rum Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 8 ounces dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 pound walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 x 12-inch baking dish.
- Cake: Cream butter and sugar; stir in dates and walnuts.
- Combine water and baking soda; add to creamed mixture.
- Add eggs, flour and salt; beat until well blended.
- Add rum.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool slightly, and top with Rum Glaze.
- Rum Glaze: Mix confectioners' sugar, rum and a little water until smooth.
- Spread glaze while cake is still warm.
- Let cool completely, then turn out of dish.
For spicier cake, add 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon ground
nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves with flour and salt.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.