Autumn Rum Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 8 ounces dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 pound walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8 x 12-inch baking dish.
- Cream butter and sugar; stir in dates and walnuts.
- Combine water and baking soda; add to creamed mixture.
- Add eggs, flour and salt; beat until well blended.
- Add rum.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool slightly, and top with Rum Glaze.
- Rum Glaze: Mix confectioners' sugar, rum and a little water until smooth.
- Spread glaze while cake is still warm.
- Let cool completely, then turn out of dish.
For spicier cake, add 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon ground
nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves with flour and salt.