Black Rum Cake
- 1 pound raisins
- 1 pound currants
- 1 pound prunes (pitted)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 pound chopped nuts
- 2 pounds dark brown sugar
- 1 pound butter
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound flour
- 12 ounces rum
- 12 ounces wine (red or Burgundy)
- Grind or chop raisins, currants, prunes and nuts; mix with 6 ounces each of rum
and wine. Leave to soak for 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and flour a baking pan.
- For caramel, heat 1 pound dark brown sugar until melted.
- Cream sugar and butter, adding eggs, one at a time.
- Add the rum-soaked fruits and caramel and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix
to a soft dropping consistency.
- Pour into prepared pan; bake for 2 hours on the middle shelf of the oven.
- Remove from oven, pour remaining rum and wine over the cake.
This cake can be kept for up to 12 months.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.