Black Rum Cake
- 1 pound raisins
- 1 pound currants
- 1 pound prunes (pitted)
- 2 teaspoons
- 1/2 pound chopped nuts
- 2 pounds dark brown sugar
- 1 pound butter
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound flour
- 12 ounces
- 12 ounces wine (red or Burgundy)
- Grind or chop raisins, currants, prunes and nuts; mix with 6 ounces each of rum
and wine. Leave to soak for 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and flour a baking pan.
- For caramel, heat 1 pound dark brown sugar until melted.
- Cream sugar and butter or margarine, adding eggs, one at a time.
- Add the rum-soaked
fruits and caramel and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix
to a soft dropping consistency.
- Pour into prepared pan; bake for 2 hours on the
middle shelf of the oven.
- Remove from oven, pour remaining rum and wine over the
This cake can be kept for up to 12 months.