- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
Bourbon Hard Sauce Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Cake: In saucepan simmer raisins and water uncovered 20 minutes; drain, reserving
3/4 cup liquid; cool.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt and spices; set aside.
- In large bowl of electric mixer cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg
and beat until well blended. At low speed add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately
with reserved liquid. Sir in raisins, chopped walnuts and bourbon. Divide batter
between two greased and floured 8-ich pans.
- Bake in center of preheated 350 degree
F oven about 20 to 25 minutes or until cake springs back when touched with a finger.
- Cool pans on racks 10 minutes, then invert on racks, turning layers top-side up.
Fill and frost with Bourbon Hard Sauce Frosting.
- Bourbon Hard Sauce Frosting: Cream butter, then gradually beat in 3 cups confectioners'
sugar, egg and bourbon until smooth.