Buttered Rum Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8 ounce) carton commercial sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Buttered Rum Glaze
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Cake: Cream butter; gradually beat in 2 1/2 cups sugar. Add egg yolks, one at
a time, beating well after each.
- Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream,
beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar,
1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for
1 hour and 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan and place on a serving plate.
- While warm, prick cake surface at 1-inch intervals with a wooden pick or meat
fork; pour Buttered Rum Glaze over cake.
- Buttered Rum Glaze: Combine butter, rum, sugar and water in a small saucepan;
bring to a boil. Boil mixture, stirring constantly, 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in walnuts.
Yield: 1 (10-inch) pound cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.