Canadian Rum Cake
- 1 pound dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 pound walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Rum glaze (optional)
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9 x 1-inch baking pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until well blended. Add dates and nuts.
- Mix baking soda with water and pour over nut/date mixture. Add eggs. Stir in
the flour and salt, beating until smooth. Add the rum and blend well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Test to make sure cake is done.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove from the pan.
- Frost with Rum Glaze.
- Rum Glaze: Mix 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar with 1 tablespoon rum or as
much rum as needed to make the glaze just thin enough to pour.
Makes 10-12 servings.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Spirited Cake Recipes