Chocolate Blackberry Torte with
Bourbon Sweet Cream
Berries and bourbon are a winning combination in this classy Southern-style cake. Pureed blackberries create an extra-moist cake, which is layered with sweet preserves and frosted with bourbon-spiked whipping cream.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blackberries or frozen blackberries, thawed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened European-style cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blackberry jam
- Fresh blackberries (optional)
- Mint sprigs (optional)
Bourbon Sweet Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup Bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 9-inch round baking pans or 9-inch springform
pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottoms with wax paper or parchment; lightly
coat paper with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cake: Place 2 1/2 cups blackberries in a blender container or food processor bowl.
Cover and blend or process until smooth. Strain berries through a fine mesh sieve
(you should have about 1 cup puree); discard seeds. Set puree aside.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- Whisk together the berry puree, buttermilk, cooking oil, vinegar, and vanilla
in a medium bowl. And all at once to dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
Divide batter between the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted
near the center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; remove waxed paper or parchment. Cool completely on wire racks.
- To assemble, using a sharp or serrated knife, carefully slice each cake layer
in half horizontally, making four layers. Place the first layer on a large serving
plate. Spread 1/2 cup jam on top of the cake layer. Repeat with two cake layers
and remaining jam. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with
Bourbon Sweet Cream.
- Chill up to 2 hours before serving. If desired, garnish with
fresh blackberries and mint sprigs.
- Bourbon Sweet Cream: Combine whipping cream and Bourbon whiskey in a chilled
medium mixing bowl. Beat with chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium speed
until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form (tips
Yield: 12 servings; about 4 cups Bourbon Sweet Cream
You probably have only one springform pan. To use for this recipe, place
half the batter in the pan and bake as above. Place remaining half of batter, covered,
in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
1 Serving: Calories: 681, Fat: 28g (Saturated: 11g), Cholesterol: 56mg, Sodium:
454mg, Carbohydrate: 98g, Protein: 6g
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 5/5/02 7:55:21 pm.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Spirited Cake Recipes