Chocolate Bourbon Cake
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 pound pecans, finely chopped
- 16 ounces chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Pecan halves
- Grease 9-inch springform pan and sprinkle with sugar. Heat oven to 300 degrees
- Melt chocolate chips; add butter. Stir until butter is incorporated.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, then add 3/4 cup of the sugar. Beat until stiff
- Beat yolks separately with remaining 3/4 cup sugar until thick. Mix chocolate
into yolks and add bourbon. Fold in whites and add chopped pecans. Pour into prepared
- Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours.
- Remove ring and trim top edges to flatten. Put a cardboard circle on top and
invert on wire rack; cool.
- Remove bottom of pan. Glaze and chill or allow to set up before serving.
- Glaze: Melt chocolate chips with oil. Pour and spread over cake and allow to
drip. Garnish top with a row of pecan halves around edge of cake.