Chocolate Strawberry Port Cake
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate pieces, divided
- 1/2 cup port wine, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 pint fresh California strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream, shipped and sweetened
- In double boiler over simmering water, melt butter and 1/2 cup of the chocolate
in 1/3 cup of the port. Stir and cool.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch round layer cake pan.
- In mixer bowl beat egg yolks with 6 tablespoons of the sugar until thick and
pale. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture. Mix in flour and remaining chocolate.
- In another bowl beat egg whites with remaining sugar just until stiff; gradually
fold into chocolate batter to blend. Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted
into center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; loosen and invert onto plate.
- With back of spoon press
shallow indentation into center of cake. Toss strawberries with remaining port;
spoon into center of cake. Pipe or spoon whipped cream around edge.
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 2/6/2002 10:34 pm.
Nutritional information per serving: 14.534 calories; 6 g protein; 37 g fat;
51 g carbohydrate; 150 mg cholesterol
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Spirited Cake Recipes