- 1 large orange
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons silver or gold tequila
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Confectioners' sugar and orange twists*, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a springform pan, or line an 8-inch round
pan with wax paper.
- Use a zester to remove as much zest as possible from the orange, then halve the
orange and juice it. Measure the juice, adding water to make 1/2 cup. Combine the
orange juice, zest, and sugar in a small pan. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar,
then remove from the heat and set aside. When cool, add the tequila. Reserve this
syrup to use over the cake when done. Do not add to the batter.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the eggs, milk, flours, baking powder,
and butter. Process until the ingredients are combined, scraping down the sides
of the container.
- Place the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cake
pulls away from the sides of the pan and springs back when touched with a finger.
- If using a spring-form pan, place the cake, still in the pan, on a plate to catch
the drips. Otherwise, transfer the cake from the pan to a plate 15 minutes after
it comes out of the oven. Pierce the top of the cake with a fork in several places,
then slowly drizzle the tequila syrup over the cake. Remove the springform pan sides,
but not the bottom. Sprinkle the cake with confectioners’ sugar and decorate with
orange twists, if desired.
* To make orange twists, cut an orange in half, then slice each half to rind
and twist very thinly. Twist the ends of each slice in opposite directions.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Spirited Cake Recipes