Molten Chocolate Bacardi O Cakes
with Orange Vanilla Sauce
- 8 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 1/2 tablespoons Bacardi O
Orange Vanilla Sauce
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoons Bacardi O
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
Orange Whipped Cream
- 6 ounces heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Bacardi O
- Zest of one small orange, chopped
Garnish and Assembly
- 3 small oranges, zested and segmented
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Fresh raspberries
- Fresh mint leaves
- Chocolate Cakes: Heat oven to 360 degrees F. Butter 10 (6 ounce) ramekins and
place them on a sheet pan.
- Place the chopped chocolate and butter in a medium glass or stainless steel bowl.
Put the bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water, and allow the chocolate mixture
to melt, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in mixer with whip attachment, whip the eggs, yolks and sugar on medium-high
speed until pale and thick. Gradually add the flour and mix until thoroughly combined.
Then slowly add the chocolate mixture, and whip for another three minutes. Add the
Bacardi O, one tablespoon at a time until mixture is smooth. Divide mixture among
the 10 ramekins and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- About 20 minutes until ready to serve, place the cakes in oven and bake 10-15
minutes, or until top is set, but centers are still soft and moist.
- Orange Vanilla Sauce: Place the orange juice, 1/4 cup Bacardi O, sugar, vanilla
bean and scrapings into a small saucepan. Simmer, on medium-high heat until mixture
is reduced by half.
- While mixture is still simmering, add the cornstarch-orange juice mixture and
whisk until smooth. Continue to whisk, while simmering for one minute. Remove from
heat and add 1 Tablespoon Bacardi O. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Orange Whipped Cream: Whip the heavy cream and sugar until thick and fluffy.
Fold in the Bacardi O and the orange zest. Keep refrigerated.
- Garnish and Assembly: Toss the orange segments in the granulated sugar.
- For each plate, unmold a warm cake onto the center of the plate. Place five
dots, varying in size on the left side of the cake, from larger to smaller dots.
Then arrange three orange segments next to the lower right side of each cake.
- Place a dollop (about 1 1/2 tablespoons in size) of whipped cream on the top
of each warm cake. Then place a raspberry, a mint leaf and a few pieces of orange
zest on top of the cream.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 10 cakes