Orange Mango Triple Sec Layer Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon orange rind
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 mangos, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Garnishes: mango slices, raspberries
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons Triple Sec
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups fresh orange juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
Orange Buttercream Frosting
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 6 to 8 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans. Line bottoms with wax paper; grease wax paper,
and dust with flour. Tap out excess flour; set pans aside.
- Cake: Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add
1 1/2 cups sugar, beating well. Stir in orange extract and rind.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a separate bowl; add to butter mixture
alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low
speed until blended after each addition.
- Beat egg whites in a separate bowl at high speed with an electric mixer until
foamy. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating 2 to 4 minutes
or until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves. Fold one-third of egg white mixture
into batter. Gently fold in remaining egg white mixture into batter.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Place 1 cake layer on a cake plate, and brush with one-third of Orange Syrup;
top with 1/2 cup of Orange Filling. Spoon half of chopped mango over filling.
- Repeat procedure with next layer.
- Top with last cake layer, and brush with remaining one-third of syrup.
- Spread Orange Buttercream Frosting over top and sides of cake. Spoon remaining
filling on the top center of cake. (We let the filling run down the sides for a
casual look.) Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately, or chill before serving.
- Orange Syrup: Combine orange juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring mixture
to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute. Remove from
heat; stir in Triple Sec; let cool.
- Orange Filling: Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan; stir in orange
juice until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly;
boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks and lemon juice in a small bowl until thick and pale. Gradually
stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring
constantly. Return pan to medium heat; bring mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly.
Simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add butter and orange rind; stir until butter melts. Pour filling into a small
bowl; let cool. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- Orange Buttercream Frosting: Combine first 3 ingredients and 6 tablespoons whipping
cream in a large bowl. Beat at medium-low speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
Beat at medium-high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy, adding cream, if
necessary, for proper consistency.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 6:41:53am 5/26/03.
Source: Coastal Living Magazine, May-June 2003
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Spirited Cake Recipes