Red Raspberry Ice Cream Cake
with Raspberry Amaretto Sauce
For the cake
- 6 cups red raspberries, frozen
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
- About 2 dozen Italian-style ladyfingers
- 1/4 cup amaretto liqueur (optional)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
For the sauce
- 4 cups frozen red raspberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons amaretto (substitute 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for non-alcoholic sauce)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- To make the cake, prepare springform pan by spraying with cooking spray and then
lining it with plastic wrap. Let plastic wrap hang over the sides of the pan.
- Thaw 6 cups raspberries. Remove ice cream from the freezer and soften.
- Cut ladyfingers in length to be flush with top edge of the plastic-lined pan;
stand them with rounded edge at the top, along the sides of the pan. Place additional
ladyfingers in the bottom of the pan, squeezing them in tightly to cover completely,
cutting to fit in small areas as needed. Sprinkle amaretto over all ladyfingers,
- Puree raspberries in a food processor with sugar. Press through a fine sieve
into a large bowl. Add softened ice cream to raspberry puree, and combine well.
Pour ice cream mixture into prepared pan with ladyfingers. Freeze cake, covered
with plastic wrap, until frozen hard, about 6 hours or up to 1 week.
- To make the sauce, in a food processor, puree raspberries with sugar and amaretto
or almond extract and force through a fine sieve into a bowl. Sauce may be made
ahead, covered and chilled.
- To serve, remove cake from the freezer and let soften in refrigerator at least
30 minutes before serving time. Remove cake from pan, discarding plastic wrap.
- Whip heavy cream with sugar and almond extract until stiff peaks form. Garnish
cake by piping cream along edge of cake with a large piping tip. Top cream with
fresh or frozen whole raspberries.
- Serve cake with sauce. Pass extra sauce at the table.
Yield: 10 servings; 1 1/2 cups sauce
per serving: 557 cal; 7 g pro; 86 g carbo; 21 g total fat (13 g sat. fat);
79 mg chol; 264 mg sod
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 2/13/2002 1:10 pm.