Spirited Mississippi Mud Cake
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 1 1/2 cups strong, brewed coffee, cooled
- 5 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Grease a Bundt pan with 2 teaspoons of the butter.
Lightly dust with the cocoa powder.
- Sift the flour with the baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Warm the Bourbon and coffee in the top of a double boiler or stainless steel
bowl set over a pan of simmering water for five minutes.
- Add the chocolate and remaining
butter. Cook, stirring, until melted and smooth, about three minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Cool slightly.
- Using a whisk or an electric mixer, stir in the flour, 1/2 cup and a time, into
the chocolate. Add the vanilla extract and egg whisking to mix well.
- Pour the batter
into the prepared pan and bake for one hour. (Cake will be slightly soft in the
- Remove from the oven and let rest in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.