Sweet Potato Bundt Cake
with Spiked Sugar Glaze
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1 (40 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup mild-flavored vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Spiked Sugar Glaze
- 1/2 cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- Reserved 1/4 cup rum
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube or Bundt pan.
- Cake: In a small, non-reactive bowl, soak the raisins in the rum for at least 30 minutes
or up to several hours.
- Drain the raisins and reserve rum; you will use some in
the cake and some in the glaze. Add 1/4 cup rum to the sweet potatoes; using a potato
masher or large fork, roughly mash them or whip in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs just to break them up. Add sugar and beat until
the mixture is thick and pale. Add vegetable oil and vanilla; beat to blend. Add
mashed sweet potato mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon,
and nutmeg. Add the flour mixture to the batter in three additions, alternating
with the buttermilk in two additions. Fold in raisins. Pour into pan.
- Bake in center
of oven for 1 hour to 1 hour, 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center
comes out clean and the cake is just beginning to pull away from the sides of the
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto the
rack. Set over a baking sheet to catch the excess glaze.
- While cake is cooling, prepare the glaze. With a long skewer, poke holes all
over the cake, concentrating on the top. Spoon about half the warm glaze over the
top. Let the cake and remaining glaze cool for 10 to 15 minutes, until it has thickened
slightly. Pour over the cake, letting it dribble down the sides, then allow the
cake to cool completely before cutting and serving or wrapping and storing.
- Spiked Sugar Glaze: Combine dark brown sugar, unsalted butter and whipping cream
in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
until the sugar dissolves. Continue to boil until the mixture thickens somewhat,
about 3 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in the reserved rum.
Yield: 14 servings
Per serving: Cal 484 (39% fat) Fat 21 g (6 g sat) Fiber 2 g Chol 72 mg Sodium
323 mg Carb 65 g Calcium 50 mg
Source: Adapted from In the Sweet Kitchen
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Spirited Cake Recipes