Almond Torte with Fresh Raspberry Sauce
Raspberries in a rich Sherried cream sauce are an elegant finale for a summer supper. The fresh-tasting raspberry sauce for this moist torte is also a good accompaniment for fresh fruit or ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 (7 ounce) package soft almond paste
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Raspberry Sauce
- Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
- Slivered almonds, for garnish
- Fresh raspberries, for garnish
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons kirsch (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease bottom of 9-inch-diameter cake pan; line with circle of parchment
paper. Lightly grease and flour pan and paper.
- Torte: Sift flour and baking powder together; set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together sugar, butter and almond paste until light and
fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; stir in almond
extract. Fold in flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake until golden and a wooden skewer inserted
into center comes out clean (40 to 50 minutes).
- Cool 10 minutes in pan, then remove from pan and cool on rack to room temperature.
- To serve, spoon some of the Raspberry Sauce onto each of 8 dessert plates. Slice
torte into eight wedges; set a wedge on each plate. Garnish with whipped cream,
slivered almonds and fresh raspberries. Serve at once.
- Raspberry Sauce: Puree raspberries until very smooth in food processor or blender.
Strain into bowl, pressing puree through the mesh strainer. Whisk in sugar. Taste
and add more sugar, if needed. Add kirsch, if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: 8 servings
Sauce can be kept, covered, up to 2 days in refrigerator.
Posted by Annette at Recipe Goldmine 11/24/2001 5:55 pm.