Chocolate Plum Walnut Torte
This is a delicious, dense dark chocolate torte with a crunchy walnut top that
uses dried plums to add moisture and reduce the fat content.
- 3/4 cup (4 ounces) plums, dried
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- 1/2 cup water, boiling
- 1/3 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, large
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup California walnuts, chopped, divided
- 3/4 cup California walnut halves
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8-inch round spring-form
pan with cooking spray. Place a glass baking dish (any size) half-filled with
water on the lower rack of your oven.
- In a small bowl, combine plums, chocolate and water. Let stand 5 minutes
until plums soften and chocolate melts. Stir.
- In a food processor, combine plum mixture, flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar
and salt. Whirl until nearly smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand whisk or mixer to beat eggs and granulated
sugar until thick and foamy.
- Stir in half the plum mixture. With a spatula, gently fold in remaining
plum mixture and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Do not over mix. Pour into prepared
- Arrange walnut halves evenly around edge. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chopped
walnuts in center. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the center feels set when
- Cool completely before slicing.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):