Chocolate Torte with Buttercream Frosting
- 1/3 cup butter (do NOT substitute margarine)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 whole egg
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 3/4 cup apricot jam
- 2 cups whipped cream
Butter Cream Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 egg yolks, unbeaten
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Torte: Combine butter, sugar and salt and cream until light. Stir in 5 egg yolks and
1 whole egg, mixing well.
- Melt chocolate and combine with almonds. Add to egg mixture
and beat well. Beat 7 (seven) egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into chocolate
mixture. Pour into 3 round eight-inch layer pans lined on bottom with paper and
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Cool on rack for 25 minutes before
carefully removing from pans.
- Filling: Fold apricot jam into whipped cream and spread between layers and over
top of torte.
- Butter Cream Frosting: Cream butter and salt. Gradually add sugar, beating well.
Add egg yolks, beating well after each addition. Add cooled chocolate, beating well.
Add vanilla extract. Spread on sides of torte.
- Chill for about 2 hours or overnight before serving.
Yield: 12 servings
Posted by Rudy2 at Recipe Goldmine 10/7/2001 7:08 am.