Dark Chocolate Pecan Torte
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, broken up
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small microwave safe bowl, place chocolate and butter. Microwave at HIGH
(100%) 1 minute or until smooth when stirred. Line bottom of 9-inch springform pan
with foil, butter foil and sides of pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large mixer bowl, combine chocolate mixture, sugar, and vanilla; beat well.
Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in flour and
water; beat well. Stir in pecans.
- In a small mixer bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks
form, carefully fold into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake
45 minutes or until top appears dry. Torte will not test for done in center. Cool
- Cover and refrigerate until firm. Remove side of pan and invert onto serving
plate, remove bottom of pan. Carefully remove foil. Pour Chocolate Glaze over top
and spread evenly over top and sides.
- Chocolate Glaze: In a small mixer bowl, combine 1 cup confectioners' sugar
and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, place 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, 2 tablespoons
water and 1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for
one minute or until smooth when stirred. Add to sugar mixture, beating until smooth.
Add hot water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary for desired consistency.
Source: Hershey’s Chocolate