Meringue Nut Torte
- 1 1/2 cups crushed saltines
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum or almond flavoring
- Whipped cream, sweetened and flavored
- Mix the crumbs with the nuts and baking powder.
- Beat the egg whites on medium speed of mixer until stiff but not dry, and add
the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating after each addition; this takes about
10 to 15 minutes.
- Flavor with rum or almond. Fold in cracker crumb mixture.
- Spread into two greased and floured 9-inch layer cake pans which have removable
bottoms. Mound the mixture up in the middle slightly.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 325 degrees F. Remove from pans and let cool.