Raspberry Hazelnut Torte
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts finely chopped
- 5 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1/4 cup confectioners'
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatine powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups
- Meringue: Beat egg whites until foamy, add salt and cream of tartar and beat
until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until whites are firm and glossy.
Fold in nuts and vanilla and spoon into parchment-lined springform pans, smoothing
- Bake for 50 minutes. Turn oven off with oven door shut, leave the meringues for
1 1/4 hours. Cool and peel off parchment paper.
- Mousse: Puree 2 cups raspberries; combine with icing sugar. Sprinkle gelatine
over water; stir. Warm just enough to melt gelatine. Blend into berries. Place in
freezer for 10 minutes.
- Whip cream and blend 1/3 into raspberry mixture.
- Position one meringue layer on a serving plate. Spread half mousse over the meringue,
cover with the second meringue, the remaining mousse and then the third meringue.
- Use remaining whipping cream to spread or pipe over sides and top of torte. Garnish
with remaining berries.
- For best results, allow torte to stand for at least 4 hours
Variation: You can substitute any nuts you may have on hand, in your meringues.
Any mousse filling can be used (fruit, chocolate, coffee, etc).
Meringues may be stored in airtight containers for 4 to 5 days or frozen for
a few weeks.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 5/11/02 7:20:01 pm.