Amaretto Pear Upside-Down Cakes
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large ripe Bartlett pears, peeled and cored
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Amaretto or other almond-flavored liqueur (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter six 1 1/4-cup custard cups, ramekins or giant
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in small saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and honey; cook
over low heat about 2 minutes until mixture no longer separates.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared dishes.
- Cut each pear into 12 wedges and place four wedges in the bottom of each dish;
- In a medium bowl, beat remaining 6 tablespoons butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Combine milk and Amaretto in another bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, then half the milk and Amaretto,
beating well after each addition.
- Repeat until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour batter into the six prepared dishes, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and place on a rack 10 minutes. Carefully flip each dish onto
- Serve immediately with whipped cream and garnish with almond slices.
Makes 6 servings
1 teaspoon almond extract may be used in place of the almond liqueur. If using
extract, increase the milk to 3/4 cup.
Per serving: 595 calories, 8.9 grams protein, 77.4 grams carbohydrates, 27.2
grams total fat, 126.7 milligrams cholesterol, 13.8 grams saturated fat, 3.1 grams
dietary fiber, 490 milligrams sodium
Recipe credit: California Pear Advisory Board
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.