Amaretto Pear Upside-Down Cakes
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large ripe Bartlett pears, peeled and cored
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Amaretto or other almond-flavored liqueur*
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Toasted sliced almonds
* One teaspoon almond extract may be used in place of the almond liqueur. If using extract, increase the milk to 3/4 cup.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter six 1 1/4-cup custard cups, ramekins or giant
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in small saucepan.
- Add brown sugar and honey; cook
over low heat about 2 minutes until mixture no longer separates.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared dishes.
- Cut each pear into 12 wedges and place four wedges in the bottom of each dish;
- In a medium bowl, beat remaining 6 tablespoons butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Combine milk and Amaretto in another bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, then half the milk and Amaretto,
beating well after each addition.
- Repeat until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour batter into the six prepared dishes, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and place on a rack 10 minutes. Carefully flip each dish onto
- Serve immediately with whipped cream and garnish with almond slices.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 595 calories, 8.9 grams protein, 77.4 grams carbohydrates, 27.2
grams total fat, 126.7 milligrams cholesterol, 13.8 grams saturated fat, 3.1 grams
dietary fiber, 490 milligrams sodium
>> UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.
Recipe used with permission from: California Pear Advisory Board