Apricot Upside-Down Cake
- 2 (15 ounce) cans apricot halves
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Drain apricots, reserving 3 tablespoons juice (discard remaining juice) or save
for another use); set aside.
- Place butter in prepared pan; place in oven for 3 to 4 minutes or until melted.
- Stir in the brown sugar.
- Arrange apricot halves, cut side up, in a single layer
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks on high for 4 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Stir in reserved apricot juice.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg yolk mixture.
- In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into yolk mixture.
Carefully spread over apricots.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick
inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plates.
Yield: 9 servings