Banana Chocolate Chip Upside-Down Cake
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 ripe, medium-size bananas
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup banana puree (2 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup regular or low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Topping: Mix the brown sugar and water together in an 8-inch square
metal cake pan or cast iron skillet. Heat the mixture until it begins to boil, reduce
the heat and simmer 45 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside
- When cool, slice the bananas into 1/4-inch thick slices. Arrange them in rows
over the melted sugar in the pan, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle the slices
with the lemon juice.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cake: Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl.
Stir in the granulated sugar.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the butter, egg, egg white, banana puree, sour
cream and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in the wet ingredients
until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Carefully spread the batter over
the bananas and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Loosen the edges of the cake from the pan and invert on a serving platter.
Yield: 9 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Upside-Down Cake Recipes