Banana Upside-Down Cake
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and butter;
bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook without stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch springform pan.
- Arrange pecans on top with flat side up.
- Pour remaining lemon juice into a small bowl; add bananas and stir carefully.
- Arrange bananas in a circular pattern over the pecans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine yogurt, eggs, lemon peel and vanilla extract; stir into the dry ingredients
just until moistened. Spoon over bananas.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes
or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of pan; invert cake onto a serving plate.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.