Banana Walnut Upside-Down Cake
- 1 cup golden brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 large ripe bananas, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Topping: Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan; stir over low heat until butter
melts and mixture is well blended.
- Pour into a 9-inch diameter cake pan with 2-inch
high sides. Spread to coat bottom of pan.
- Pour maple syrup over sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly over.
- Place banana slices in concentric circles on nuts, overlapping
slightly and covering bottom.
- Cake: Stir flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl to blend.
- Beat sugar and butter in another medium bowl until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk in 3 additions.
- Spoon batter over bananas.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- Transfer cake to rack. Run knife around pan sides. Cool cake on rack for 30 minutes.
- Place a plate over pan; invert cake. Let stand 3 minutes, then gently lift off the pan.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
Serving size: 8
Source: Bon Appetit - March 1996
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Upside-Down Cake Recipes