Bananas Foster Upside-Down Cake
Brown sugar, rum, cinnamon and bananas--elements of the traditional bananas Foster-combine
in a topping that becomes a delicious sauce, moistening the dessert when it's
inverted. The cake itself has a homey feel and a rich, deep banana flavor. Serve
it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut up, softened, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 3 large ripe but firm yellow bananas with green tips, sliced diagonally (1/4 inch)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Place brown sugar, 1/4 cup of the butter and cinnamon in small saucepan. Heat
over medium-low heat until butter is melted and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rum. Pour into 9 x 2-inch round cake pan.
- Arrange banana slices in concentric circles over brown sugar mixture.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup butter and sugar in large
bowl; beat at medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture in 3 parts alternately with sour cream, beginning
and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon and gently spread batter over bananas.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until cake is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center
comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Run small knife around edge of cake;
carefully invert cake onto serving plate.
- Serve warm.
Per serving: 510 calories, 22 g total fat (13 g saturated fat), 5 g protein,
76.5 g carbohydrate, 110 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 1.5 g fiber
Source: Cooking Pleasures magazine
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Upside-Down Cake Recipes