Boozy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Give a classic dessert a taste twist with the amazing addition of spiced rum
and pina colada mix!
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices in juice, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 1/2 cups spiced rum*
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup piña colada mix (from 12-ounce bottle)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Place drained pineapple and cherries in separate bowls.
- Pour about 1 cup rum
over pineapple and remaining rum over cherries. Let stand for 1 to 8 hours to marinate.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place butter in ungreased 13 x 9-inch pan; place in oven to melt.
- When butter is melted, remove pan from oven.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter; set aside.
- Drain and reserve 1/2 cup rum from pineapple.
- Arrange pineapple slices in pan in 3 rows of 3 or 4 slices.
- Drain rum from cherries; discard rum.
- Place 1 cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
- In large bowl, place cake mix, piña colada mix, oil, eggs and 1/2 cup reserved
rum from pineapple.
- Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour evenly over fruit in pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in
- Run knife around edges of cake. Place cookie sheet upside down over pan; turn
cookie sheet and pan over. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow juices to run down onto
- Remove pan.
Serve cake warm with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Prep time 20 Min | Total time 2 Hr | Servings 9
Make the cake alcohol-free by substituting water for the rum.
* Only 1/2 cup rum is used in cake; remaining 1 cup is discarded after soaking pineapple
Blogger Cheri Liefeld of Adventures in the Kitchen shares a recipe for a boozy
pineapple upside-down cake.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: