Buttery Upside-Down Cake with
Fresh Mango and Candied Ginger
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups pitted, peeled, and (3/4 inch) cubed ripe mango (about 2 mangoes)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, cored, and (3/4 inch) cubed ripe pineapple (about 1/2 small pineapple)
- 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Generously
butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mango,
pineapple, brown sugar and rum. Cook, stirring often, until the sugar is melted
and bubbling. Cool until tepid.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, ginger and salt, and set aside.
- Beat the
remaining 8 tablespoons of butter and the sugar in a large bowl with a hand-held
electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the
eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla extract.
- On low speed, add the flour in three
additions, alternating with two additions of the milk and beat until smooth, scraping
down the sides of the bowl often with a rubber spatula.
- Arrange the fruit in a single layer in the pan, sprinkle with the candied ginger,
and pour the syrup over all.
- Sprinkle with the pecans.
- Spread the batter evenly
over the fruit.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean,
about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Invert and unmold onto
a large serving platter. (If any pieces of fruit stay in the pan, just remove them
and arrange them in their place on the cake.)
- Pour any juices in the pan over the
- Serve warm or completely cooled, with the ice cream.
Makes 12 servings
Source: American Butter Institute
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Upside-Down Cake Recipes