Cherry Almond Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup firmly light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups pitted tart red cherries*
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- Whipped cream, if desired
- Toasted slivered almonds, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For topping, place butter in 9-inch round cake pan. Place in oven to melt butter,
about 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven; stir in brown sugar.
- Sprinkle with almonds and top with cherries; set aside.
- For cake, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Add combined dry ingredients and milk. Beat at medium speed 1 minute.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Loosen edges of cake with knife. Invert onto serving
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature.
- Garnish with whipped cream and almonds, if desired.
* If using frozen or canned cherries, drain well and pat dry with paper towel