Cherry Almond Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup firmly light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups pitted tart red cherries*
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- Whipped cream, if desired
- Toasted slivered almonds, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Topping: Place butter in 9-inch round cake pan. Place in oven to melt butter,
about 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven; stir in brown sugar.
- Sprinkle with almonds and top with cherries; set aside.
- Cake: Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract. Add combined dry ingredients and milk.
Beat at medium speed 1 minute.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Loosen edges of cake with knife. Invert onto serving plate.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature.
- Garnish with whipped cream and almonds, if desired.
* If using frozen or canned cherries, drain well and pat dry with paper towel
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.