Cherry Upside-Down Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, divided
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (1 pound 4 ounce) can pitted sour cherries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar; add vanilla extract.
- Sift flour with salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons
of the baking powder and add alternately with the water to the butter mixture, beating
well after each addition.
- Beat the remaining baking powder with the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold whites into mixture.
- Divide batter into two greased and floured 9-inch layer pans.
- Sauce: Drain cherries well, saving the juice. Measure 3/4 cup of juice. Add water
if needed to make up the difference.
- Combine juice, cherries, sugar and coloring. Heat to the boiling point.
- Pour hot cherry sauce over cake batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool for 3 minutes.
- Turn upside down. Place layers using sauce as both filling and topping.
- Serve with whipped cream.