Daffodil Upside Down Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, juice and grated rind
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Slices from 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Lemon Sauce: Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt together.
- Gradually add water stirring until thickened. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter, juice and rind. Set aside.
- Cake: Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg. Cream until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add alternately with milk and lemon peel.
- Line bottom of 8-inch, greased round cake pan with thin lemon slices.
- Pour lemon sauce over slices (just enough to cover. reserving some).
- Pour batter over lemon slices and sauce.
- Bake 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove and cool. Invert onto serving dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over and serve.
Posted by Rudy2 at Recipe Goldmine April 29, 2001.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.