Daffodil Upside Down Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, juice and grated rind
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Slices from 1 1/2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Lemon Sauce: Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt together.
- Gradually add water stirring until thickened. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter, juice and rind. Set aside.
- Cake: Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg. Cream until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add alternately with milk and lemon peel.
- Line bottom of 8-inch, greased round cake pan with thin lemon slices.
- Pour lemon sauce over slices (just enough to cover. reserving some).
- Pour batter over lemon slices and sauce.
- Bake 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove and cool. Invert onto serving dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over and serve.
Posted by Rudy2 at Recipe Goldmine April 29, 2001.