Fruit Cocktail Upside Down Cake
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter in a 9-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over the butter. Spoon the fruit cocktail over the brown sugar.
- In bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In electric mixer bowl, beat the egg yolks and gradually add granulated sugar, beating well.
- Beat in water and vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients and beat together until well blended.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites; pour over fruit in pan.
- Bake at 325 for 40 to 50 minutes, until cake tests done.
- Cool for 10 minutes and turn upside down onto serving plate.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream, or frozen whipped topping, thawed.
Yield: 9 servings