Mango Upside-Down Cake
Mango Upside-Down Cake is a treat that will quickly become a family and entertaining
favorite! This recipe is a twist on the classic upside-down cake recipe, with mangoes
- 1 ripe large mango, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons lemon
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons
- 2/3 cup (5 fluid ounce can) NESTLE CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place mango slices in small bowl. Pour lemon juice over slices; toss lightly.
Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in 9-inch-round baking pan in oven; remove from oven. Stir in brown
sugar and water. Arrange mango slices in circular pattern in pan.
- Combine flour, granulated sugar and baking powder in medium mixer bowl. Add evaporated
milk, vegetable shortening, egg and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed until combined.
Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly pour or spoon batter over mango slices;
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- To unmold, run a small knife around top of cake to loosen. Place serving platter
over pan; invert. (If any mango slices stick to pan, place on cake.)
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 35 minutes | Cooling Time: 5 minutes |
Tip: To select a ripe mango, choose one that is firm but not hard and gives slightly
when gently squeezed. They also have a sweet, fruity aroma around the stem and smooth,
yellow- to red-blushed skin. A long, flat seed runs down the center of each mango.
Stand the mango, stem end up, on a cutting board. Carefully use a sharp knife to
slice lengthwise through the flesh slightly to the right, then the left, of the
stem and seed.
For Pineapple Upside-Down Cake: Substitute 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple slices
in juice, drained, for mango and lemon juice. Cut each pineapple slice in half.
Arrange slices in circular pattern. Prepare batter and bake as stated above.
Reprinted with permission from
Nestlé and meals.com.