Orange Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
- Valencia orange slices, 3/8-inch thick
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 6 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons chocolate extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drop orange slices and cranberries into boiling water, re-boil, drain, and set
- Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 ounces butter and 1 tablespoon water. Heat, stirring
- Pour into buttered 9-inch nonstick cake pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Melt 4 ounces butter in a saucepan.
- Remove from heat and beat in milk, egg, and extracts.
- Combine with flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Place orange slices in cake pan and fill spaces with cranberries.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar evenly over fruit, then spoon cake mixture on top.
- Bake until golden and a wooden pick comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Cool for 6-8 minutes, then invert onto serving plate.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.